Friday, February 09, 2007

Requiem for Jason

Jason was a homeless man who lived at the Catholic Worker as I do now. My best friend, Mark, hired him in his window cleaning business. That's mainly how I got to know him, as I wasn't so active back then.
Jason was always rather cheerful and open to anyone around him. He treated you as if he knew you for a long time. He was friendly and unassuming.
Once he told me of his sister's suffering, she has bipolar, and I could tell he disdained her for taking medication. He was an ex-drug addict and I guess he saw all chemicals as drug abuse. He once spoke of his own depression problems.
Jason would come in and out of our lives. He would say he needed "Holy Spirit time" and would wander for a couple months at a time.
One day I was told he hung himself a month earlier, surprising Mark and I. Sad and shocking.
Later, Mark told me how, months earlier, he got a phone call from Jason who was in a near panic and in deep confusion. He kept telling Mark to mail his last paycheck to Howard Stern, the radio figure. He gave Mark the address and in great duress he begged Mark to mail it to him. I guess it was Jason taking care of unfinished business as those who commit suicide are wont to do.
Well, a couple months after his death I noticed a note on the Catholic Worker's bulletin board in their kitchen. It was a note from Jason.
Dearest Friends,
How's everyone?
Well, I hope.
I'm really enjoying my time with the Lord. Just Him and I.
It's very precious.
Please tell everyone I'm doing great.
Thank you all so very much.
Love Jason.


*Sigh*




Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord;
and may perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God rest in peace.
Amen.

2 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Oh how very sad!
May Jason rest in peace.

Julie D. said...

May God show him mercy and grant you and all his friends and family peace.