Sunday, September 24, 2006

speaking about Morning Prayer...

For your love is better than life,
my lips will speak your praise.

-May I be so in love with you that I lose all attachment to the things of this world and regard only you. May I hold all other things in their rightful place, in subjection to your wonderfulness and all surpassing glory. May my mouth utter glory to you as I rightfully see you in your proper place.


On my bed I remember you.
On you I muse through the night
for you have been my help.

-When I awake in the middle of the night, surrounded by darkness and dark thoughts, I call upon you and recall your acts of love to me, all your saving graces and your deeds of compassion. I call out to you with my many requests, none of which overwhelms you. I rely on you in my weakest of moments.


My soul clings to you;
your right hand holds me fast.

-I have clung to lesser things, carnal desire, words of men, false hopes... none can save me but you, I fasten my soul upon you, who are the source of all life and goodness. You kindly hold on to my wavering soul.

Bless the Lord, all you works of the Lord.
Praise and exalt him above all forever.
Angels of the Lord, bless the Lord.
You heavens, bless the Lord.
All you waters above the heavens, bless the Lord.
All you hosts of the Lord, bless the Lord.
Stars of heaven, bless the Lord.

-Yes, let all creation bless the Lord! Everything I can think of and can see and all that has not entered my mind, all that has escaped my eye, give glory to the One who made us all, give glory forever.


For the Lord takes delight in his people.
He crowns the poor with salvation.
Let the faithful rejoice in their glory,
shout for joy and take their rest.

-You have made me one of your people, you have included this waif, this orphan of sin and child of despair into the family of holiness and blessedness and light. You have saved this poor soul from hell, corruption and cursedness. You have gifted me with faith and cause me to celebrate in glory, lifting me from my shame. I can't help but exclaim my happiness, you cause me to cease toiling for my own gain- a blessed relief.


Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on us.
Christ, Son of the living God, have mercy on us.


Each Sunday give us the joy of gathering as your people,
-around the table of your word and your body.
From our hearts we thank you,
-for your countless blessings.

No comments: